This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Number of Players: 2-8
Object of the game
The goal of Trove is for each player to lure potential researchers to their island of information.
- Separate the researcher deck into levels. Shuffle each level and then place the lower numbered levels on top of the higher numbered levels (ie level 1 cards at the top and level 3 cards at the bottom).
- Shuffle the action deck and deal 5 cards to each player.
- Shuffle the start card deck and deal 1 card to each player - this is that player's island. This card remains in front of the player as a reminder of their space on the board. The other cards are shuffled and placed next to the board.
- Give the starting player marker to the player with the most results from a vanity search on the internet.
- Reveal the researcher card
- If there are no researcher cards left, the game is over and victory points should be totalled.
- Reveal the start card.
- If the start card shows the island belonging to the starting player, discard it and draw another.
- If there are no start cards left, shuffle the discards and redraw.
- Place the researcher marker on the appropriate space on the board as shown by the start card. The starting space has a star on it.
- Proceeding clockwise from the starting player, each player may do one of the following:
- Play an action card from their hand.
- Move the researcher marker around the board as appropriate. The marker moves from circle to circle.
- Draw an action card. There is a hand limit of 7 card maximum.
- Discard any amount of action cards.
- The turn ends when-
- No player has used an action card in a round
- A Timeout card is played
- There are no cards left to draw (ie they are all in the discard pile or in people's hands).
- Give the researcher card to the player whose island is closest to the research marker.
- If the island us not owned by any player, the researcher card is discarded and not counted.
- Pass the first player marker to the player on the left.
- If there are no action cards left to draw, shuffle the discards.
- This is the only time that action card discards are shuffled back into the deck. If there is only 1 card left for the next turn, that will be the only card anyone can draw until the next researcher.
- Repeat the steps until all the research cards have been used.
How to win
Gain the highest amount of victory points for your island by attracting the best researchers.
- First Player counter
- Researcher counter